Subject: Re: Julie Mayo's story (was Re: LRH and I) From: Julie Mayo Date: 1996/05/04 Message-Id: <4mfht2$ffs@light.lightlink.com> Sender: electra@light.lightlink.com Organization: Art Matrix - Lightlink Electra Gateway v2.4 Newsgroups: alt.religion.scientology Reposted 5/4/96 -----BEGIN PGP SIGNED MESSAGE----- On 3 May 1996 10:47:53 -0400, rnewman@kalypso.cybercom.net (Ron Newman) wrote: >In article <4mbrl0$ih9@light.lightlink.com>, >Julie Mayo wrote: > >>I admired Hubbard's enthusiasm for mapping a way towards the realization >>of human potential, but I think some mistakes were made on the way. > >That's like saying "I admired Stalin's enthusiasm for building a worker's >state, but some mistakes were made along the way." Interesting point, I'll think about it. >>For instance, I am very much against the oppressive tactics and dirty tricks >>of OSA as well as the philosophic roots that excuse, if not encourage, >>that anti-social behavior. >> >>And to put it mildly, Hubbard didn't exactly encourage critical thinking. > >Once you take away all of the things about Hubbard that you're against >-- what's left to be for ? If you ask a Scientologist what it was that they got out of Scn, each will tell you something a bit different, but I can guarantee that almost one for one they will tell you about at least one significant life changing experience, and probably other results. It may also bring to mind times when they felt they had helped others and how rewarding it felt to see someone recover from a painful experience and feel happy again. When they encounter criticism of their philosophy they think that a) the person just hasn't studied or experienced it enough to have a personal win himself or b) the person has been misinformed by a small number of critics or SPs or squirrels. The criticism will be neatly discarded without giving it much thought. When faced with the possibility that their Church or philosophy might be taken away from them, they will fight for it with all their might. When faced with oppression or wrong-doing from within, they will bear it, because they don't have any alternative. If there was a different more benevolent organization where they felt they could practice their religious or philosophic beliefs, people who felt oppressed or abused or had irreparable differences might go there. But that simply isn't the case. So kind hearted Scientologists end up supporting an organization that employs people like Eugene Ingram to harass and do dirty tricks on people. And they listen to the stories and justifications told to them about it and try not to think about it. I am not a Scientologist and my current philosophical views are very different than Scientology. But I think my personal growth in this area was made possible by first being able to think about and practice what were then my cherished philosophic beliefs in a free and safe environment - -- the CNC. >>When we joined Scn, >>we did so because we thought that it was a benevolent, altruistic >>organization dedicated to mankind. It seemed to be so when I joined. But either it has gotten worse in the last 15 years, or I just didn't know what was going on, or I didn't think about it sufficiently. - -- >Ron Newman rnewman@cybercom.net >Web: http://www.cybercom.net/~rnewman/home.html [posted and e-mailed to Ron Newman] Julie Mayo -----BEGIN PGP SIGNATURE----- Version: 2.6.2 iQCVAwUBMYq1maUzTdUDYOWNAQFBJAP+K8DI6Okg/DOOJ/EZot8WFxiIwxYuvbpB d376y92wAhQbt1dFBNVXGObLrv0TSiVSH7QyePpgmrNWBlTuL8O6PKEN/Xy5qDJO o9ELxmG2uy/XgaL90WcqCHeQVDpY+YeTYhV8goMh+5xXw4CScu4+OQhPnHVC6Vpv PiOvH2hRIL4= =15nI -----END PGP SIGNATURE-----