Subject: Re: Lonesome Squirrel (was, R.U. Fishman's 'Flack', SteveO?) From: Julie Mayo Date: 1996/05/18 Message-Id: <4nla83$kvl@light.lightlink.com> Sender: electra@light.lightlink.com Organization: Art Matrix - Lightlink Electra Gateway v2.4 Newsgroups: alt.religion.scientology -----BEGIN PGP SIGNED MESSAGE----- On 18 May 1996 02:31:17 GMT, dst+@cs.cmu.edu (Dave Touretzky) wrote: > >Just a note about Fishman's reference to the "B1 Combat Information Center". > >The Combat Information Center (or CIC) is a room deep below decks on an >aircraft carrier, filled with radar and computer displays, where the captain >and other key officers hang out to coordinate a battle in progress. Ah, that explains "Combat Information Center"! CIC is commonly used in Scientology, but no Scientologist that I know would equate it with "Combat Information Center". Do you suppose Mr. Fishman had experience in the real navy? > >I took Fishman's use of this phrase as a wry reference to the real Navy; a >joke he expected the reader to pick up on. Apparently a lot of people >didn't. That's the danger in assuming too much of your readership: >sometimes they don't catch the jokes. I've had that experience. >This is not to defend the truthfulness of _Lonesome Squrirrel_. It appears >there may be some factual errors there, at least minor ones. I'm in no >position to say. I've already stated that it is inconsistent with my personal experiences but it will be interesting to see how many other people can spot the inconsistencies. (Hint, there are a lot more than what I already mentioned.) A great challenge for critical thinkers. >-- Dave Touretzky, KoX (SP4+): Get thee 3 feet behind me, thetan! Julie Mayo -----BEGIN PGP SIGNATURE----- Version: 2.6.2 iQCVAwUBMZ4lH6UzTdUDYOWNAQEKegP/QZW47yqRipbxJMHUS92BspjC3XTvucgA uB6csvlmxcNSIcG2KbJCFCrNJ1RfImBen3FfpISBWLdtbiKqD+nV4/emM2sM7wda +WKqo5nRjUhzciSvzu7ubjaCvnEzEpCCaYOKqjOH+G7MSEakSZgGI0fSgOiLPV+m bbe90LJ3eDQ= =aSuS -----END PGP SIGNATURE-----