Subject: Re: My position on a.r.s From: David Mayo Date: 1996/05/16 Message-Id: <4nfmef$pru@light.lightlink.com> Sender: electra@light.lightlink.com Organization: Art Matrix - Lightlink Electra Gateway v2.4 Newsgroups: alt.religion.scientology -----BEGIN PGP SIGNED MESSAGE----- On Mon, 13 May 1996 22:18:06 +0100, Dave Bird---St Hippo of Augustine wrote: >In article <4n61aq$pcv@light.lightlink.com>, David Mayo > writes >> I also hold a position that will not be universally popular >>in this group, that acts of copyright infringement have played into >>Scientology(tm)'s hands more than any imagined benefit from those >>infringements. > How so? Contrary to the assertions of Scientology(tm) and some critics, acts of alleged copyright infringement have not significantly adversely affected Scientology(tm) nor have they brought about any social reform. Those actions have empowered Scientology by giving them legitimate or apparently legitimate reasons to sue, complain, lobby and to get support from other I.P. owners, the courts and law enforcement agencies. Freedom of Speech and Freedom of Religion have been minimally enhanced, if at all, and often have suffered restriction as a result of those actions. Evidence of the above exists in each of the instances of alleged copyright infringement and/or of trade secret infringement in the past several years. That information is available to anyone here on a.r.s and is within the memories of some. I also expressed opinions on this in the thread: Re: <<< Repost the NOTS everywhere! >>> I continue to recommend reporting, exposing and combatting by legitimate means the undesirable behaviors of Scientology(tm). To be effective this must be done with a very high degree of accuracy or it will become self-defeating. I do not mean to imply that these effective actions are not already being done here on a.r.s. Rev. David Mayo "When we refuse to learn from the past, we compel history to repeat itself." -----BEGIN PGP SIGNATURE----- Version: 2.6.2 iQCVAwUBMZtIx+mCyCdNXuVZAQFvGgQAjTT7jUq9lJJe3MowvQA2DDIaKJ98osw3 kocX49SDz+G7C15BmH2kT6K1YoenZC0nmuUtBCb5OZGiqbW4qmtVFIfWq8QSkiKn hZHVH6C4fW5PICFiW7SRE2Uw3Ui3Qqo62vUk35wkO38oFi1+kXSQeUio+IwMV/Kz RSTKRUR1UqA= =RZbI -----END PGP SIGNATURE-----