Subject: Re: Lavenda Van Schaick Declaration From: David Mayo Date: 1996/05/29 Message-Id: <4ohj30$23v@light.lightlink.com> Sender: electra@light.lightlink.com Organization: Art Matrix - Lightlink Electra Gateway v2.4 Newsgroups: alt.religion.scientology -----BEGIN PGP SIGNED MESSAGE----- On Tue, 28 May 1996 02:02:27 GMT, referen@neont.com (Diane Richardson) wrote: >smokesig@ix.netcom.com (Neal Hamel) wrote: > >>On 25 May 1996 21:58:52 -0400, David Mayo wrote: > >>[ snip ] > [...] >[snip] > >>The theory that Fishman's story was concocted by his reading the >>FACTnet materials, also suggested elsewhere by the currently >>beleaguered D. Erlich, is intriguing. > >>Point #1 about Gary Klingler is strong evidence to back the theory of >>FACTnet as the source for Fishman's experiences. I, personally, >>believe it is the explanation. (n.b. Klingler was originally from Las >>Vegas before his posting to the US GO. There were two Klingler >>brothers and unless I have gotten them confused, Gary was a key person >>in the legal restructuring of the CofS in the late 70s.) > >I agree as well that the "Klinger" misspelling is strong evidence that >Fishman used the FACTNet files to "enhance his memory" while he was >writing Lonesome Squirrel. > >Lavenda was on staff at the Las Vegas Org, so she would have known >Gary Klingler personally. She probably didn't notice the typo in the >typewritten declaration she signed. Fishman would not have know that >it was a misspelling of the guy's real name. > >Klingler was, however, a high-profile person in the CoS during this I don't think that he was as high profile as the following article stated. Perhaps Neal Hamel or another ex-GO person would know. >time period. Here is a news wire story regarding Lavenda's lawsuit >against the "Church". Note that Gary Klingler is identified as a >national spokesperson for the cult. > >--------------- > > The Associated Press > >The materials in the AP file were compiled by The Associated Press. >These materials may not be republished without the express written >consent of The Associated Press. > > December 13, 1979, Thursday, AM cycle > >SECTION: Domestic News > >LENGTH: 469 words > >HEADLINE: Woman Sues Scientologists for $200 Million over "Mind >Control" >BYLINE: By THOMAS S. BROWN, Associated Press Writer >DATELINE: BOSTON > > BODY: [...] > > And Gary Klingler, a national church spokesman, estimated that as >many as 3.5 million people have taken Scientology courses in the >United States, including about 20,000 in the Boston area. I do not *think* that Gary Klingler was "a national church spokesman" except for this statement in this article. I have only heard of him as working in GO Legal. I think he was assigned to "handle" the LaVenda Van Schaick case (i.e., get rid of that lawsuit) and made the statement as part of that assignment. My information here is scant and this paragraph is mainly opinion. > >_____________________________ > >>I am also intrigued regarding your speculation that there is someone >>who put Fishman up to this. Do you also think that this person was >>manipulating Fishman when these charges first surfaced before >>Fishman's imprisonment? (I answered, no, in another post.) > >I find this speculation compelling as well. I doubt, of course, that >anyone will be able to prove any collusion. But it *does* tend to >give this whole Fishman a.r.s. debacle a raison d'etre. Someone who is powerless, stupid and from whom we will never hear again. David Mayo "Everyone I know could outsmart such a person while half asleep!" -----BEGIN PGP SIGNATURE----- Version: 2.6.2 iQCVAwUBMaw62+mCyCdNXuVZAQFS6QP+IMYHIjeDxwD/auowgb5rUGURfomPv7LQ MkaGRg3+wlGhcWlCgH5DbfMJvtkiU6hlPkxShUPzIRGVKK0knAeacdDtabgvPZDj n6JVFq6kCfs0WXCe7qf70AwN+8rCJxsakmDAr4Meh21IyLab7qSxFvV9mo6Whits iP1QTQuEX+c= =Nnec -----END PGP SIGNATURE-----